Share internet to an Ethernet port and wireless simultaneously

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Edited Feb 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM
The Issue:
I have tried many different things but for the life of me I can't get windows to share internet to an Ethernet port and to a wireless card at the same time.

The Setup:
I have a Windows 7 64bit computer with 2 Ethernet ports and a wireless card. I have one Ethernet port connected directly to a cable modem(Lets call this EWAN) and I would like to share the internet to anther computer via the other Ethernet port(Lets call this ELAN) and a few other devices via the wireless adapter on the PC.

What Works:
  1. Virtual Router works to share internet from my cable modem to wireless devices even with WPA2 enabled. CHECK
  2. Turning off Virtual Router and turning on ICS to share from my Ethernet port connect to my modem to the other one connected to anther computer. CHECK
  3. Bridging both my wireless card and "ELAN" together via the "Bridge Connections" windows option and then sharing my "EWAN" to the newly created "Network bridge". Next I created a adhoc network. It worked! I Get IPs from both the "ELAN" card and any wireless devices that can connect via adhoc mode. HOWEVER this solution does not work for me as NONE of my devices seem to connect adhoc mode when WPA2 is on (only WEP) for some reason. ALSO (The biggest issue) I have devices that don't support adhoc at all, like a Windows 8 PC.
The Road Blocks:
  1. I turned on Virtual Router and select to share my "EWAN" port. Used "Bridge Connections" to bridge my "ELAN" port and my wireless card. Tested wireless and it was still working at this point. HOWEVER my "ELAN" port wasn't giving out an IP. So I tried to set a static ip on the other client computer connect to the "ELAN" port but nothing is going though. Can't even ping the other computer with "ping".
  2. I tired using the "Bridge Connections" options on my "ELAN" and my wireless card then running the following in a cmd prompt as Admin:
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MySSID key=MyPassword
    netsh wlan start hosted network
    Then I turn on sharing of my "EWAN" card to the newly created "Network bridge". In this configuration I get an IP address from the computer connected to my ELAN port but nothing that connects to the wireless.
  3. It seems window's ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) is limited to sharing only one connection at a time and Virtual Router (and the netsh commend it uses) also requires ICS to share an adapter.
  4. The "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" that Virtual Router creates (uses Wireless Hosted Network from what I can tell) isn't bridgeable. When I right click on it I do not see the "Bridge Connections" options I see all my other NICs.
Feb 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM
use 'mHotspot' it works good.
Feb 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM
mvmsaikrishna wrote:
use 'mHotspot' it works good.
I tried mHotspot and it does the exact same thing as Virtual Router but the installer is filled with adware and crashes with .Net errors. I would not recommend anyone using it!

I tried Connectify and it worked! I could use it to share my "EWAN" port over wifi while not tying up a shared connection in the Network Connections in the control panel. However when running Connectify and ICS at the same time it made one of the svchost.exe process instances take up 100% of my CPU. It was also creating stutters in the internet because of this for it and the other computers connected to it.

I used devcon.exe to create an empty bridge and bindbrige.exe to configure it to bridge my "ELAN" to the "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter". See this post for details.
Note you can use "devcon hwids *" to get your <deviceId> for your NICs and should be "PCI\VEN_...." for the real NIC and "{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\VWIFIMP....." for the "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter". I hope this helps anyone else who was looking to make a PC router that can host interent over both infrastructure wifi and a wired port.

Highlighted items include the 2 adapters bridged together plus the bridge itself. (EWAN is shared to the "Network Bridge")
Marked as answer by Jkasten on 2/5/2014 at 10:49 PM
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Jun 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Are there better alternatives?

I have bridge the ethernet and the source of internet (iPhone) but the bridged connection is missing that sharing tab.

The computer connected through ethernet has internet connection but I don't know what to do with the hotspot.
Dec 19, 2014 at 12:16 AM
bkausbk has now written a bridgeutil program, which makes things really simple:

All I had to do was run:

bridgeutil.exe /install

(look at the interface numbers)

bridgeutil /attach 18

bridgeutil /attach 13

Works great!