clients can't reconnect after rebooting where no internet

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I want to use Virtual Router on a small netbook on a sailboat. In port I can connect to a wireless lan for internet access. The netbook is connected to some serial instruments for NMEA data which it multiplexes for me on a TCP port; I can view instruments on an iPhone app, and I can use my Android tablet as a wireless mouse for the netbook, all works well. If I sail away out of wifi range it all stays connected and working. However if I reboot the netbook, Virtual Router starts up but apparently at a different IP address. The devices fail to reconnect and don't negotiate a new IP address. It would be great if everything would just work without a lot of tinkering. Any suggestions how I can make this work more smoothly, keeping Virtual Router on the same IP no matter what?
Sep 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Well basically the IP Addresses I'm guessing your devices were recognizing with your Virtual Router would be the same as the one you have if you open command prompt, type "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" and look under the first section, it says IPv4 Address........:

The issue is this ip address is specific to your router, the one located at the port. So depending on the brand of router the ip address can be different. If you type the above IP Address you found in command prompt into any browser like chrome it will take you to the routers administating page (unless you own the router its not your right to edit or try to edit anything there.)

Single Solution I believe could help you:

Open google chrome and type the following into the search bar: what is my ip address?

Google has a search feature in their API that allows for quick searches. This includes your IP Address. Thats the IP Address that is hooked to your computer. I'm guessing once your computer restarts and your devices try to connect via virtual router, you have given them the router ip address at your port, change that to your public ip address found on google.

If this did not help you, please tell me so I can continue searching for a new solution (:
Sep 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I appreciate your effort to answer, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Remember, I would be out of range of my home router, and would have no internet, and therefore no working public IP, nor ability to ask google what my public IP was.

I am just wanting things on my little floating LAN to continue to work as before. Instead, the virtual router, if the netbook it's running on is restarted , tries to give out a whole new range of internal IP addresses than it would if I were at the pier, and I have to fiddle with each device to get it to reconnect.
Sep 14, 2013 at 3:26 AM
hi gvaughan67,
What I did was buy a (TP-LINK USB Adapter Model No. TL-WN7200ND)
this model is quite old, it came with its drivers dics.
Anyway, plug it in and you should be able to connect to your home
router and can also connect to any other routers.