"Can not be started" - but worked earlier (x64, Intel Wifi Link 5300)

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Right after installing a few weeks back, VR worked fine. However, after a reboot (and probably some Win7 updates...?) it can not be started.

I'm on Win7 x64, using an Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN.  I tried upgrading the Intel driver from the recommended 13.0.0.107 to 13.3.0.24, no change.

When attempting to start VR, the event log always shows these 3 messages:

Error: The ICS_IPV6 failed to configure IPv6 stack.

Warning: The ICS_IPV6 was unable to allocate  bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.

Warning: The ICS_IPV6 was unable to allocate  bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.

In the event log, instead of a number of bytes, a funny "frame" character is displayed (like an L rotated 180 degrees).

I've tried "netsh winsock reset" and "netsh int ip reset" and rebooting.  I've tried disabling IP6 (with the TCPIP/DisabledComponents registry key).

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM

This is incredibly embarrassing.  The wireless hardware switch was off...  4 hours wasted. :-)

Once turned on, both Virtual Router and connectify started working fine.

I'll leave this thread as a testament to my own stupidity.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

There's more.  After turning on the switch (duh), VR was able to start, and my Android phone able to associate.  However, internet connection did not work (from the phone), and the VR GUI was unable to resolve the client IP or host name.

For the record, Connectify exhibited similar behaviour.

With VR, my PC even BSOD'ed once during an attempt to load a web page on the phone (I hadn't touched the PC in minutes).

I rolled the Wifi driver back to 13.0.0.107 (which worked initially, and which is recommended on the list of supported devices), and now everything seems to work the way it should.  I'll also give Connectify another 

So thanks again for a great utility!  I hope this record of my adventures is useful to someone.  :-)