Nintendo DSi can't connect

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:54 PM
Edited Dec 25, 2009 at 6:55 PM

So I'm sitting in a hotel room with wired-only internet access which is fine for my laptop, but not for my wireless Blackberry nor my daughter's new Nintendo DSi. Installed VirtualRouter 0.9 on my 2005 vintage Compaq Presario laptop running Win7 Ultimate x64 and all seems well. VirtualRouter starts up fine, and I can connect to it with my Blackberry 8320, but I can't get the DSi to connect no matter what I do. I know the DSi is somewhat crippled with WPA2, but even though older games can't use WPA2, the browser should be fine. No matter what I try, the connection test for the VirtualRouter connection always times out. For those familiar with the DSi, I know that I have to use wifi connections 4, 5, or 6 to be able to use WPA2 but it is still no go.

Any ideas what is going on? I've tried both PSK and AES encryption.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM

On a side note that MAY be related, when I connect with my Blackberry 8320, all works well, but VirtualRouter reports on the main screen that "Host name could not be found" and "IP Address could not be found" even though the Blackberry is communicating with the internet fine and the Blackberry reports an IP address of 192.168.137.159.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Now I just connect with my Blackberry again and this time VirtualRouter successfully shows a host name, MAC, and IP address for the connection.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM

If you've manually set up the connection and enabled the WPA2 encryption then you'll need to set a static IP as well as DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 are google's DNS servers). After you manually set the IP you should be good to go. The auto-test always fails.