How to turn of virtual wifi on user machines ?

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2009 at 9:15 PM

even though virtual wifi is handy in certain situation, I find that it can be a security problem. Anyone know of a way to disable this feature ?

also in VC++ or .NET how do I detect if a connection is virtual wifi and how do I kill/disconnect it without affecting the non virtual wifi connection ?

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I don't really see what the "security problem" you are referring to is. The Wireless Hosted Network feature in Windows 7 requires the user to have Admin rights on the machine in order to enable it, so if you're an Admin at your workplace and you don't want your users to be able to enable it, then just don't give them admin rights on the box. Virtual Router uses a Windows Service that is installed on the machine at time of installation that runs as Admin so it can allow users to enable the "Virtual Router" using the Wireless Hosted Network functionality without requiring them to have Admin rights on the box in order to use Virtual Router. But even with this you need to have Admin rights in order to install Virtual Router in the first place.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't give your users Admin rights on their machine, then they will not be able to turn on the Wireless Hosted Network feature in Windows 7. Also they wont be able to install Virtual Router unless you let them.

Additionally, the connection is encrypted using WPA2 encryption which has yet to be cracked. So as long as a strong password is used, the "virtual" network will be safe from hacker, intruders and sniffers.

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Sorry I did not mean to say that virtual router has a security problem. I agree that WPA2 encryption and admin rights should be enough to secure the system.

however I was tasked to find a way to disable virtual wifi either through a setting or programmatically by finding out how to detect a connection is a virtual wifi and disconnecting it. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me. Because the company I am working for has decided they dont like virtual wifi and they want to disable it. 

thanks for any help.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

seems like last week any post does not appear. Anyway I just edited that reply post with no text. does anyone have the solution to my problem ?