Option to run without ICS / ICF

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:18 AM

I'd like to use Virtual Router simply for networking my LAN with wireless devices. Basically, that involves running my home-server purely as an Access Point. My server machine has ICS / ICF turned off as it's basically a NAS sitting behind an external secure/firewalled router. I *do not* want Virtual Router to do any routing at all (at a later time, I would pass the wireless NIC to a virtual machine and have it do routing in the VM).

However, with the current version, looking at the code and trying out the app itself, I find that the service would simply quit immediately after it starts, since it finds no "SharableConnections". Looking at the discussions, I'm not the only one asking for this functionality - although you really don't have to UnenableRouter (I would think you should not, because you still want LAN functions to work as before) - you'd simply not use ICS (don't quit if no SharableConnections are found), but still use the WirelessHostedNetwork feature.

Is that a reasonable request?

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I added a Work Item for this request to the Issue Tracker. I'll work on this feature when I get a chance to work on the project some more, but no promises when it'll be added as this is just one side project I'm working on in addition to the paid work. Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=15051

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

also it would be usefull to add mac filtering and if possible to hide ssid.