Home Network with No Internet Access

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM
I'm trying to see if I can create a Home Network, without actually having Internet Access in my home. Before asked, I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, and currently my only Internet Access comes in the form of a dodgy 1x from Verizon Wireless, courtesy of my Droid Ultra. But that isn't going to run forever, and I'm not looking for Internet use, in this.

Here is what I have to work with:

1 - Windows 7 Desktop, with a MediaLink USB Adapter, that can access as an Access Point (other devices can tap into it) or a Station (it pulls a WiFi signal from other devices) (I use the Internet with the Station Mode, and my Droid Ultra as a Wireless Hotspot.

2 - Droid Ultra Smartphone

3 - I'm looking to get a Windows 8.1 tablet soon.

So basically, I'm hoping that Virtual Router can help me. I want to set the Desktop up with the USB Adapter, to let me Phone and Tablet connect to it. This is so I can share movies and music from my desktop's external hard drive. And be able to watch them.

If this is possible to get working, I am hoping to be able to include my niece's tablet, that she got for Christmas, with a movie folder that is shared to her tablet (so she can only access movies in this folder, and all she can do is watch them, she can't delete or anything else).

So...is this possible, and can someone walk me through it?