Building and running from source?

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Edited Apr 22, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I'm interested in contributing to the project (and creating a branch of my own for a course I'm enrolled in).  I have downloaded the source and built VirtualRouterClient.  When I run it, I get an error that the service is not running.

So I set VirtualRouterService as the active project and run it.  Visual Studio gives me the error, "Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger.  A Windows Service must first be installed......"

Do I really have to run an installer every time I make a change to the service?  There must be an easier way.  And why is the codebase split between a client and a service?  It seems like it might have been better implemented as a single unified application that lives in the notification area.

I'm relatively new to MS application programming, so these are probably naive questions.  But I'll take any help I can get.

Thanks,

Neal

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Hi,

If you have not found the answer (although i think you must have), You need to build the solution and then install the VirtualRouterService project output as a Windows Service.

1. First you need to build the solution.

2. Now Open the Visual Studio Command Prompt and use the command

"installutil -i [Path Of VirtualRouterService Project]\bin\Debug\VirtualRouterService.exe"

3. Although the service starts automatically, but u can manually start and stop using

"net start VirtualRouterService" to Start and "net stop VirtualRouterService"

4. Now Running the VirtualRouterClient project works good.

Hopefully this helps someone in need.

Thanks.