Sharing non-wifi connection?

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM
Hi I was wondering if it is possible to share my mobile broadband connection with Virtual Router? I get mobile broadband by plugging in a dongle to the side of my laptop and it seems to appear in Windows settings as a dial-up modem. Thanks
Aug 13, 2010 at 5:56 AM
if you have a device listed in the network connections of Windows 7 then you will be able to share it with Virtual router, other applications may not work. I have shared vpn, ppoe, slip, pptp, wlan, ethernet and some mobile broadband connections with no problems, the only restriction is that the device must be managed by windows or at least appear in the list of devices connected (this will make it appear in virtual router too).
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:01 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Many thanks for your reply.

I've actually been able to share my connection with the latest beta of Connectify ( but not their main version.

Here's the connection in Windows (3Connect is the currently connected dongle):

I still cannot share with Virtual Router. I ran them side by side to show:

3Connect is listed in Connectify but not in Virtual Router which is completely blank

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM

It shows your device as a dialup networking connection. I am curious as to why it doesn't show in the list within Virtual Router, since VR will list all network connections known to Windows. I don't know what Connectify might be doing differently, and it is completely proprietary (Connectify is not open source) so there may be no way to tell what it does in comparison to Virtual Router.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:04 AM

I'm working on the same problem. I have posted this issue on StackOverflow also:

This is an issue with NETCONLib. Let's try to find an alternate way.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I have the same issue, but not always.
When i start windows, the vr works normal. but when I start the standby mode or disable my wifi, the vr crashes. after that he doesn't find any shared connections. I need to restart my laptop before i can use it again. It also crashes if my wifi is disabled when I start the application.$

When I get into the power saver mode, without vr running, I've got the same problem. I think that it is a problem from Windows.

Edit 2:
After a bit of testing, i found, that if I deactivate the network option "allow other users in this network to use this internet connection", the vr still see's this network, but fails to create a own network. When activated, it works properly.
(If the option is not called so, I'm sorry, I've translated it from german...)

Hope it helps.

Good day

Test system:
Windows 7 32 Bit Ultimate
HP Pavillion dv7 2060ez
Internet from Huawei stick with Internet Everywhere