No DNS Resolution from the Virtual Router - HELP

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM
I have this same problem with Connectify, so it is probably a setting on my netbooks, but I can't figure it out or can I find any documentation about this issue. Basically, Virtual Router works just fine with one exception, no DNS resolution. If I manually set the DNS server to a real DNS server, then all works just great. If I let DHCP set the DNS server it points to 192.168.2.1 (my netbook) but that addresses does no resolution at all. So the routing part of Virtual Router works great. It is just the DNS that is failing. Any idea what they heck I need to change. I don't mind setting a DNS server for workstations, but it can get difficult for Phones and personal devices.
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Hello,

it is quite interesting that apparently, only few people seem to have similar problems as you can see from the fact that nobody has answered so far.

I happen to have the same problem. It is independent of Virtual Router, Seventhgate, Connectify or any other virtual routing software. Even without such software, this problem occurs as it is related to the underlying Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

It appears that the DNS proxy agent used by ICS is, in some cases, not able to read the DNS configuration for your internet connection. In particular, this happens if DNS addresses are obtained automatically from the provider upon connect. As the error does not occur every time you connect, it is hard to reproduce it.
I sometimes could solve the problem by switching internet connection sharing off and then back on. This might force the DNS proxy agent to re-read the current DNS configuration. However, as this sometimes requires several attempts, it is quite annoying.

Therefore, it is better to circumvent the problem by entering static DNS addresses in the properties of your internet connection.

Just do the following:
  1. On the virtual router computer, connect to the internet.
  2. Download and execute the namebench tool.
  3. Namebench will suggest you a DNS configuration (1st, 2nd and 3rd DNS server) in its results.
  4. Now disconnect from the internet.
  5. In the properties for your internet connection, go to TCP/IP v4 settings, untick "obtain DNS addresses automatically" and enter the DNS addresses as suggested by namebench. Make sure that "obtain IP address automatically" remains set.
  6. Save all changes.
  7. Now you can connect back to the internet and share your internet connection as usual.
As the DNS addresses are now permanent, the DNS proxy agent now should have no problems reading them any more.

Hope this helps at least someone ;)

Kind regards.