about starting as a service

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Virtual router is installed as a service program. It starts when user start a session? or start with windows?.
When i start my session i see the program initiated but you have to press the button for the router to real initiate. Is that the way it should be or is just my instalation?

If that the way it should be, could there be a way to initiate with command line, so not only the service start but also the virtual router it self.

Thanks for the application is very useful

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM

The service starts when Windows starts. Also, it currently isn't programmed to start the wifi host automatically when the computer starts; that is why you need to click the button to start sharing the connection every time.

Virtual Router doesn't support running it via the command line, because Windows 7 itself provides a command line interface to use the Virtual Wifi functionality. Here's a link that tells you what to do via the command line: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-turn-your-Windows-7-laptop-into-a-Wi-Fi-hotspot Also, using the command line will require you to have admin rights on the box, whereas Virtual Router only requires admin rights at installation of the application.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM

thanks for the answer.

Are you planning to include in a future release to start the wifi host automatically when the computer starts?.

And thanks again for the app is very useful

May 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Edited May 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Hi crpietschmann,

I'd second victorpy opinion regarding the autostart function, as per Microsoft statement:

The wireless Hosted Network feature in Windows implements a SoftAP. However, this SoftAP is not designed to replace hardware-based wireless AP devices. In particular, if the wireless Hosted Network is running when the computer goes to sleep (standby), hibernate, or before the computer restarts, the wireless Hosted Network will be stopped. The wireless Hosted Network will not automatically restart after the computer resumes from sleep, hibernate, or restarts.

&nbspshould you managed to implement autostart mechanism on Virtual Router, it will become a HW router killer.

Edit: insert this command line parameter  "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" into Startup script and you're good to go.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-run-programs-automatically-on-windows-7-system-startup/

Thanks.

May 25, 2010 at 7:54 AM
WhizzWr wrote:

Edit: insert this command line parameter  "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" into Startup script and you're good to go.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-run-programs-automatically-on-windows-7-system-startup/

Thanks.

Only flaw with that is that it doesnt cover the possiblity of when Windows wakes up from a sleep/Hibernation state.  For me, i just wrote a small c# .Net app that covers this situation since it is very easy to tell when the system wakes up from such a state...and when it does i just execute the command line in my app and the thing is up and running again.

May 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Can you share it with us. You know a average guy would just run and install